Really, I should wait until I get this whole thing finished, and try it on the girl and show it off, but I just can’t wait. I’m just so damn proud of the fact that I, a working mom with a crazy project at work and mediocre sewing skills (OK, maybe intermediate) made my daughter’s Halloween costume this year. I even did it two weeks before her first party.
She wanted to be a mermaid, and I was determined to not have her be a Disney drone. The Princess Mafia will not win out on this one.
Originally she wanted to be a blue one, but last night at the fabric store the pink won out. I got to work last night and managed to whip up a paper bag pattern and put it together all before bed time. This morning she tried it on and she approves.
The details: It is made of pink taffeta. I used a fusable interfacing to help stabilize it (which for the record doesn’t stick very well to taffeta), and sewed in a thin layer of cotton batting. Then I machine quilted in the details. On the top I used the zigzag to faux serge a tube with the scallop edges. I closed them and layered them and made sure one was long enough to tie around her tiny little waist. It is wide enough that the main tail wraps around her front a little.
I still need to create something to help cover up her top. I am going to get some green and make a seaweed and shell wrap thing. She has also requested a bow for her hair. I have a project for this weekend now.
Full credit for inspiration goes to this Etsy shop.