Attack of the Giant Baby!

Today, and my 36 week scan I was told that they are estimating the size of the pod at… 8 pounds, 9 ounces.

If you are like everyone else I’ve told today you are either laughing with me, or gasping in horror.  Yes, these estimates can be wrong, way wrong.  However, they can also be on the small size.  To be completely honest, I think they’re a little on the big side.  I mean, I look big, but I also know that I pretty good fluid levels, and that I feel “sloshy” when I walk.  The ultrasound tech said that given my fluid levels that makes perfect sense.  She could see it when I was walking. I’m thinking she’s more in the 7 pound something range, which could put her on track with big sister.

So, yeah.  BIG baby.  A thinks I’ll go at least until 37 weeks, likely closer to 39 and my scheduled c-section.  My boss thinks she won’t see me tomorrow.  I started hanging off stuff and she proceeded to try to make sure I handed off EVERYTHING.  We find out tomorrow if I’ve dilated more, and likely get the confirmation that any regular contractions mean do not pass go, come in and have a c-section before it has a chance to become an emergency one.  All of this wonderful speculation about the state of my uterus has me freaking out a bit about what I need to make sure I have, like right now.  So, because the Internet is awesome, I’m going to write down my list and make y’all tell me what I am missing.

• Multiple outfits for coming home in a variety of sizes from 0-3 to 3-6.
  • Diapers – Size 1, not Newborn… hahahahah!!
  • Diaper pail (a must with a dog in the house)
  • Carseat
  • Car seat protector
  • Blankets (including the quilt I made and things to swaddle with)
  • Pacifiers of my favorite variety, though I will again try to avoid them unless needed.
  • Other clothes that are washed that should cover us until I get the bin out of the attic (unless I do that tonight)
  • A couple of bottles with a couple more in my Amazon cart just in case (I, like Christine, will not wait until 3 months just to go through hell this time) After a friend had emergency surgery like days after giving birth, I will never discount the wise choice to have some around just in case.
  • Carrier (Becco, in case you were wondering)

Things I totally just remembered while typing this up:

• Travel changing pad of some variety, or new diaper bag that has one
  • Wipes?!?! How did I forget wipes…
  • Present for M from new baby sister – I’m thinking maybe another fucking pillow pet…

OK, what am I forgetting?

This entry was posted in #2, All About Me. Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

12 Comments

1. Posted May 31, 2011 at 8:03 pm | Permalink

Love the post. We used 0-3 clothes only briefly & zero newborn diapers ; ) The only thing not on this list would be the Gerber Prefold Birdseye 3-Ply Cloth Diapers with Padding which I used for burp clothes & still use even today. You are short-timer indeed!
    Monika recently posted..Spring Plantings – Triumph over Winter

• asprout
      Posted May 31, 2011 at 8:59 pm | Permalink

I have washcloths that I could make work, but I have zero clue where my old prefolds are, good suggestion. Easy to pick up too!

2. Posted May 31, 2011 at 8:38 pm | Permalink

OMG I loved the pillow pet comment at the end.

I loved these blankets form Target that I used for swaddling and to cover my GInormous boobies for nursing (if that’s your thing)

Not that I’m an expert, but I was told FOR SURE my 2nd was 9.5 lbs at 37 weeks and we did my section 2 days after he was due to try for a vbac (since he was my 2nd born) However, He was only 8lbs, 12 oz. Also that he was going to be close to 10 at delivery.

I hope for your sake they are wrong. I never dilated on my own with either of them.

As for your list, do you have a crib or bassinett? Do you have clean sheets?

Also, if you plan to nurse, pump crap or even just sore nipple crap.

Best of luck lady. You crack me up :)

• asprout
      Posted May 31, 2011 at 8:57 pm | Permalink

You know, I hadn’t thought about nursing cover ups, but I suppose that wouldn’t be a bad idea… ;) Totally a nursing person, but M always used a nipple shield, for like 18 whole months, so I was never coordinated enough to nurse in public. Especially because I also own a pair of giant boobs, but only when I was nursing. Otherwise they’re only slightly big and now floppy.
      We have a crib, a cosleeper, and a pack & play with a bassinet. We’re covered for if I am stuck on one floor or two. Don’t plan on getting out the crib right away. Sheets are clean and packed away, I suppose getting them out wouldn’t be the worst idea. ;)

3. Posted May 31, 2011 at 9:11 pm | Permalink

A pump, just in case? Nursing bra?
    -R- recently posted..Stalking Success!

• asprout
      Posted May 31, 2011 at 9:14 pm | Permalink

Pump, so insurance will cover it, requires a scrip from the Doc, but then insurance will cover fully. If I need one immediately, I can get a rental like I did last time. I actually do have nursing bras, just forgot to mention. Even found an old sleep bra to take w/to hosp should my milk come in and leaky1 and leaky2 go back to their old ways. Also, picked up disposable nursing pads tonight. Leakylefty was always a pain in the arse.

4. kristen
    Posted June 1, 2011 at 7:04 am | Permalink

We’ve got a ton of the Gerber prefolds, and with L being less spitty I could give you a stack. I’ll also be putting aside for you the Dr. Brown’s bottles we ended up not using.

I’ve also got numerous sizes of nipple shields, never used, that I got at the hospital since L was having latching issues in the beginning if you would like them.

One of the moms in my mom and baby group uses an aden and anais muslin swaddle as a nursing cover up since they’re so large. The other nice thing about that is they’re light so you’re not roasting the baby when you are nursing; I find that L gets really warm under the nursing cover up I have. I’ve got the swaddles on hand and can lend to you as well. Let me know and I’ll make a delivery to you!

5. Posted June 1, 2011 at 9:22 am | Permalink

HAHA are you not a pillow pet fan? We just have one mini one and Grace treasures it.

With the additional things in the comments, you sound set to me. Oh, what about a stroller? Maybe you don’t need one if you’ll just use the carrier.

• asprout
      Posted June 1, 2011 at 9:53 am | Permalink

It was the incessant bugging about them that eventually got to me. I made her Nana get her one and now she talks about how she got her one all. the. time.

We have a stroller, newborn ready, but it is huge and won’t fit in the new car. We have a stroller that will fit in the car, but it is 3 mo. +. If I have a c-section, we will likely get a new Maclaren that will fit in the car and be newborn ready. I’ve had it in my Albee Baby cart forever, ready to pull the trigger depending on what happens.

6. Posted June 1, 2011 at 11:23 am | Permalink

sounds like with the suggestions in the comments, you are doing awesome on stuff for the pod!

things i would suggest: a big, wide-mouth reusable waterbottle with a straw for you. whether you deliver vaginally or c-sec you’ll need PLENTY of H2O and i always think there’s something comforting about having my own big water bottle with ice cubes, etc.

also do you have comfy, loose clothing for after delivery?

yummy smelling stuff for your first postpartum shower (always the BEST SHOWER EVER)?

other things that might come in handy: a lavender rice bag (or heating pad or something), an eye mask/ear plugs for labor/sleeping if you have sensory issues (like i do)…an Mp3 player with kickass tunes, anything that will be comforting to YOU!!
    birdie recently posted..and part of every day

7. Posted June 2, 2011 at 5:30 am | Permalink

Probably covered in the clothes entry, but 1,000,000 onesies, in various sizes, colors, patterns … summer-time may find that onesies and blankets are all the baby will need to wear! Maybe also socks. Itty bitty baby socks.

Diaper creme. I am blanking on the stuff that I liked best – it wasn’t Desitin, but 13 years later, I can’t remember what it was called.

And on the pacifiers – my older daughter had a favorite variety, and so I purchased those for my second. She hated the shape of them, and ended up having a different favorite. So I would recommend having a couple of varieties, in case something different works for this baby.

So exciting! Can’t wait for the “Baby’s here!” post!

8. Posted June 2, 2011 at 6:00 am | Permalink

Balmex. The diaper cream.