So far, midway through the week, my whole 5 goal thing is working pretty well. I think about my evening during the day, wonder what I should do, and use my 5 as a reminder of what I committed to. Not bad. So far the biggest success is the meal planning. So far two nights have gone well, tomorrow may be challenging because I need to go to Target, and Friday A has gaming, so I’ll get a treat for M. She’ll ask for a salad so we’ll both get one and everyone wins. I have a kid who thinks that salads from restaurants are awesome. How cool is that?
Tonight for dinner we had green chili chicken white bean stew. There are as many words in the name as there are in the dish itself. If you don’t count spices. I made it up based on my favorite soup from the deli by work. It is more stew than their soup is, but that is the way A likes his soup.
- Saute until soft 1 Onion
- Add 1 pound (or a 20 oz package) of diced up raw chicken breasts (as small of dice as you need for your tastes) Cook until no longer raw on the outside
- Add 2-3 Cups Lower Sodium Chicken Stock
- Add 2 Large Cans of Diced Green Chilis
- Add 2 Cans of Navy Beans (or similar white bean)
- Add seasonings to taste (I used about 1/2 t of ground cumin & some pepper)
- Reduce heat to low, cook for at least 45 minutes
Stores & reheats awesome. We had it for dinner tonight with cheese quesadillas and fresh avocados. I plugged it in the WW (I’m trying again, very cautiously, to do WW) and it works out to be 11 points per serving. I counted it as having four. It sounds like a lot, but you could easily up the veggie content with more chilis, green peppers, etc and make it go farther. It packs a wallop for protein and fiber, which I need to feel full and feed the milk supply.
Off to clean up the basement. After I have a nice zero points cup of herbal tea.